7 Tips For Staying Fit On Vacation
While most people don’t plan their vacations around workouts, returning home feeling bloated and tired isn’t ideal either. Whether you already workout regularly or you just want to stay healthy, there are a few simple tips for staying fit. By creating a plan for eating well and getting some exercise on vacation, you’ll end up returning home rested and refreshed, bringing back new souvenirs and not extra pounds.
1. Walk, Don’t Drive: Even if you aren’t following a plan to work out on vacation, you can easily pack in extra exercise by opting to walk rather than driving. Instead of booking a sightseeing bus tour, lace up your sneakers, and hit the pavement. To visit museums, restaurants, and shops, make a plan to walk throughout the day rather than to drive. Wander to your heart’s content, and get a local perspective while burning some calories.
2. Sample Local Produce: While you’ll want to indulge at meals, balance your vacation diet with local produce. Start your day with fresh fruit, and at other meals, opt for fresh veggies and green salads for sides. By adding fruits and vegetables into each meal, you’ll be fueling your body and won’t be left feeling slow and bloated.
3. Take Advantage of Fitness Centers: One of the best tips for how to work out on vacation is to book a resort with a full fitness center. Trying to workout in your room can feel cramped and limited, but in a fitness center, you’ll have a variety of machines and equipment, and there’s a good chance the room will have a view too! With a fitness center included in your vacation package, you won’t have an excuse not to exercise on vacation.
4. Enjoy Outdoor Activities: You don’t need a gym to work out on vacation. The great outdoors provides plenty of options for exercising. Some of the best vacation activities include hiking, swimming, and paddleboarding, all great exercises for your body. In fact, switching up your normal exercise routine with these activities will help you work different muscles and strengthen your core. Plus, you’ll get to see more of the local environment and find hidden gems.
5. Pack Healthy Snacks: Traveling has lots of time to snack, and if you’re unprepared, you’ll be stuck with prepackaged and processed junk food. Whether you’re heading to the airport or out for a city tour, pack a piece of fruit, bag of trail mix, or a granola bar, and you’ll be able to save money while giving your body the nutrients it needs.
6. Balance Cocktails with Water: The sugar and calories in cocktails can add up quickly, and when you’re out on vacation, alcoholic beverages can quickly throw off your fitness. Choose a plan to alternate between a drink and a glass of water. This way, you’ll not only cut calories, but you’ll also hydrate your body, and when it comes to how to work out on vacation, you’re more likely to head to the gym when you’re not dehydrated or hung over.
7. Sleep Well: As tempting as it might be to stay out late and dance the night away, that’s not the best way to keep your body strong and healthy. While you may want to go out a few nights on vacation, try to maintain a healthy sleep schedule during the majority of your trip. When you’re well rested, it’s easier to exercise on vacation and return home feeling refreshed.
Figuring out how to work out on vacation and stay fit doesn’t have to be complicated. From what you eat to what activities you book, every choice has the potential to improve your health. While indulging in treats and spending the day with your feet up by the pool are part of what makes vacation so great, it’s important to balance these things out with active activities and healthy eating. This way, you’ll return home rested and ready to jump back into your regular routine.